The purpose of Title I, Part A funds is to help schools provide opportunities for children to get the knowledge and skills required to meet both the Colorado English Language Proficiency (CELP) and Colorado Academic Standards (CAS) requirements.
Title I programs in Westminster Public Schools offer special features at Title I elementary schools and middle schools. Some of those features include:
- More teachers and instructional assistants
- More training for school staff
- Extra time for instruction
- A variety of teaching methods and materials
- Small classes during literacy and/or math
- Greater parent involvement
The law provides many flexibilities and opportunities for districts and schools to meet the purpose of Title I, Part A. In schoolwide programs, the use of Title I, Part A funds is based on a comprehensive needs assessment. In targeted assistance schools, the program is designed to provide extra educational assistance beyond the regular classroom to identified at-risk students.
In addition to the requirements for schools and targeted assistance programs, Title I, Part A funds must also meet the following fiscal requirements:
- Maintenance of Effort: A local educational agency (LEA) may only receive Title I, Part A funds if it maintains educational expenditures from state and local funds from on year to the next. An LEA cannot reduce its own spending and replace those funds with federal funds.
- Comparability: An LEA may receive Title I, Part A funds only if state and local funds will be used in Title I schools that are at least comparable to those in non-Title I schools. An LEA may meet this requirement on a grade-span or school-by-school basis.
- Supplement not Supplant: Title I funds must supplement the amount of funds that would, in the absence of Title I funds, be available from non-federal sources for the school, including funds needed to provide services that are required by law for children with disabilities and English learners.
- Reasonable & Necessary: All expenditures must be reasonable and necessary.
Executive Director-Learning Services
Send an email@example.com
Send an firstname.lastname@example.org