The Westminster K-12 Virtual Academy is an ideal learning program for families who prefer an online learning opportunity with a focus on math, literacy, science and social studies.
The Virtual Academy allows students to access a free, comprehensive online learning platform supported by experienced professionals within Westminster Public Schools. In addition to a rigorous online curriculum, students remain connected to their local schools, district programs and friends.
It’s important to understand that the Westminster K-12 Virtual Academy is not the same as the remote learning provided to students in the spring of 2020 during the coronavirus pandemic. The Virtual Academy model uses the latest, best strategies and technology to guide students through their studies in a virtual environment. The Virtual Academy will utilize the best nationwide and local resources to deliver instruction that meets the Colorado Department of Education standards and expectations.
Frequently Asked Questions about Westminster K-12 Virtual Academy:
Why an online school?
- Community surveys have found that many families are attracted to the idea of online learning, but don’t want to cut the connection with their local school. While online instruction is much different from a classroom experience, the Virtual Academy will provide plenty of opportunities for students to interact with their peers. Students can still participate in athletics, performing arts, and district competitions like spelling bees.
How is the Virtual Academy different from remote learning the district provided in the spring of 2020?
- While our teachers did a remarkable job of transitioning to remote learning during the pandemic, online education is different. The Virtual Academy provides an intensive curriculum in math, literacy, science and social studies while allowing students to partner with their “home” school to meet the child’s social learning needs.
What if we try online learning and want to return to a traditional school at a later date?
- This is a common question and the answer is yes, students can return to their original school at designated intervals. Because Westminster Public Schools oversees the Virtual Academy, student data will be entered into Empower, our learning management system, and information is integrated into the student’s ongoing academic profile.
Will a high school diploma still come for Westminster or Hidden Lake High School?
- Yes, while students may be taking online classes, they are still enrolled in Westminster Public Schools.
Will my student receive a Chromebook and internet support?
- All students will receive a Chromebook and Westminster Public Schools will provide details/and or access to free or low-cost internet options if needed.
How do I enroll my student at the Westminster K-12 Virtual Academy?
- Go to mywps.org/enroll and begin registration as a new or returning student. Once signed in select Westminster K-12 Virtual Academy from the drop-down menu.