Language is an Asset
The Seal of Biliteracy is for all students who achieve a high level of proficiency in English and another language.
Earning the Seal of Biliteracy can help set you apart in your college and career paths.
The purpose for offering the Seal of Biliteracy in WPS
We are committed to motivating and encouraging every student with a high school preparation program leading to graduation and college and career readiness. We seek to create an environment where:
- The bilingual/multilingual identities of our students in the classroom and the community are a valued asset.
- Proficiency in multiple languages, including English, makes important contributions to a student’s cognitive development, understanding of diverse cultures, and economic opportunities.
- Fluency in multiple languages is a critical element in enabling our city and state to participate effectively in a global political, social, and economic context.
- The demand for employees to be fluent in more than one language is high and increasing in Colorado and throughout the world.
- Multilingual skills are needed to build trust and understanding across the multiple languages and cultural groups in our diverse community.
- Providing universities with a certification allows them to give credit and recognition to applicants for the attainment of high-level skills in multiple languages
What is a Seal of Biliteracy?
In March 2017 Colorado signed into law SB17-123 that gives school districts authority to grant a diploma endorsement in biliteracy to a student who demonstrates proficiency in English and at least one other language. The bill established the requirements a graduating high school student must meet to obtain the biliteracy endorsement.
What are the requirements to earn the Seal?