Weapons on Campus
Westminster Public Schools District Code of Conduct and Discipline defines dangerous weapons as:
- Firearms, loaded or unloaded, or firearm facsimiles that could reasonably be mistaken for an actual firearm.
- Pellet or BB guns or other devices, whether operational or not, are designed to propel projectiles by spring action or compressed air.
- Fixed-blade knives with blades that measure longer than three inches in length or spring-loaded knives or pocket knives with blades that measure longer than three and one-half inches in length (the knife blade will be measured from the hilt to the top of the blade); and any knives, regardless of length, which a student uses or presents in a threatening manner.
- Any other object, device, instrument, material, or substance, whether animate or inanimate, used or intended to be used to inflict death or serious bodily injury.
- Parents should be aware that BB guns, "Paint Ball" guns and "Air Soft" guns and any facsimilies of a firearm, all fall under the definition of dangerous weapons and must not be brought to school for any purpose.
We have had instances where students travelled to another family's house or to a friend's house and brought their air soft or paintball guns to school with them so they could use them later.
Please do not allow your children to bring these items to school for any purpose. If your child wants to visit a friend after school and use their air-soft or paintball gun, please make other arrangements to get the item to the friend's house.