I am a proud University of Colorado alumna. I have both a Bachelor's degree in Education and a Masters degree in Curriculum and Instruction. I have been teaching Literacy at Shaw Heights for 17 years. I feel truly blessed to have had the good fortune of working along side dedicated fellow teachers and administrators who have supported me with my battle with breast cancer.
Why do I teach?
I fell in love with reading at an early age and decided that I wanted everyone to feel excited about reading the way I do. My love for books took me half way across the world as you can see in the picture. I flew to New Zealand to be a part of the making of "The Hobbit." Having read this book when I was in middle school, I knew that I had to be a part of the movie in some way. I want students to know that if they persevere with their goals and dreams, anything is possible. When I was diagnosed with breast cancer and doing weekly chemo and radiation treatments, it was "my why" that kept me going. I wanted to return to the classroom so that I could help students realize their potential and set goals for achieving their dreams.
Facts about Mrs. Villa-Hartman
- Two of my cats are named after characters from my favorite books: Gandalf from "The Lord of the Rings" and Khaleesi from "Game of Thrones".
- I am named after my Dad, Albert.
- My sister was a Captain in the US Army Reserves.
- I am married to fellow math teacher Mr. Hartman.
- I love sports particularly the Broncos, the CU Buffs, the Rockies, the Yankees, and the New Zealand All Blacks rugby team.
- Most summers you can find me in Hawaii or at a pool. I do know how to surf.