Westminster Academy for International Studies (WAIS) is a small PK-8 school with a big name. We offer an exceptional and creative educational experience for our students. Our program approaches several academic subjects through the lens of international studies, which teaches knowledge and appreciation of different cultures and geographical locations around the globe. Our International Studies curriculum also includes a travel abroad experience for 8th graders, assuring that students not only “learn about” different cultures, but also get a chance to experience these cultures.Program Features:
Building Fundamentals for Parents of Students Currently Attending WAIS:
- Westminster Academy for International Studies is an international focus school. We presently run a PK-8 schedule.
- Like all WPS schools, WAIS utilizes a competency-based design of education where students can only progress to the next level once they have demonstrated competency in any subject areas. Students may be in multi-leveled groups to help teachers differentiate instruction to the students’ academic levels. Overlaying this competency-based approach is an international studies focus, which integrates world cultures, geography and language into the curriculum.
- Unlike most elementary schools in the area, WAIS features a foreign language (Spanish or Mandarin Chinese) course as part of it’s specials rotation in addition to PE, Music and Art.
- Parents may drop students off using the Hug-and-Go system in the parking lot at 7:45. School begins with breakfast in the classroom at 8 a.m. Students will be marked tardy after 8 a.m.
- All students should enter the school at the North Entrance only (by the Rec Center) before 8:00 AM. Please do not drop off students before 7:45 as there will be no adult supervision. That being said, you are welcome to park and wait with your student on North picnic tables until staff comes out to open up the school. If a student arrives after 8:00 AM, they must enter through the main doors and obtain a pass from the office.
- Our school office is open from 7:45 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Student Drop Off and Pick Up:
- Parents and Guardians are always welcome. In order to insure the safety of our students, all visitors must enter through the main doors, sign in and obtain a visitor’s badge for every visit, no matter how short the visit. Other visitors are not permitted in the classroom or on campus without advanced approval from the principal.
TO AND FROM SCHOOL-TRAFFIC and PEDESTRIAN SAFETY:
- Students may begin arriving at 7:45 a.m. every day. The doors will be opened at 7:50.
- Each grade level has its drop off and pick up zones, per the video and email released by the principal. Please see your student’s teacher below to find the appropriate drop-off location:
Ms. Rachel (PreK) – North Parking Lot
Mrs. Barnett (Kinder) – North Parking Lot
Ms. Hurrle (Kinder/Level 1) – North Parking Lot
Mrs. Sheanin (Level 1) – North Parking Lot
Mr. Moore (Level 2) – North Parking Lot
Mr. Byrd (Level 3) – North Parking Lot
Mrs. Voss (Level 4) – Bus Lane
Mr. Viglione (Level 5) – Bus Lane
Ms. Kyle (Level 6) – South Parking Lot
Mrs. Yount (Level 7) – South Parking Lot
Mrs. Buchanan (Level 8) – South Parking Lot
- Parents dropping of multiple students may drop-off at the location assigned to the youngest child. For example, a family dropping students off for Mr. Byrd, Mrs. Voss, and Mrs. Buchanan can leave all students at the north parking lot since this is the drop-off location for the youngest student.
- Dismissal will be at 1:40 p.m. on Mondays and 3:40 Tuesdays through Fridays. Please see the 2020-2021 school calendar for holidays and teacher workdays since there will be no school during these days.
- All parents, guardians and daycare providers are expected to use crosswalks and follow the traffic and safety rules.
- Please respect the safety of others by slowing down in the school zones and traveling slowly in one direction only in the rec center parking lot. Please do NOT make U-turns on Irving St. The police will regularly be enforcing speed and traffic laws on our school zone to promote the safety of our students