- Westminster Academy for International Studies is an international focus school. We presently run a prek-7th schedule, but we have plans to expand to a prek-8 by the school year 2018-2019.
- Like all WPS schools, WAIS utilizes a competency based design of education where students can only progress to the next level once they have demonstrated competency in any subject areas. Students may be in multi leveled groups to help teachers differentiate instruction to the students’ academic levels. Overlaying this competency based approach is an international studies focus, which integrates world cultures, geography and language into the curriculum.
- Unlike most elementary schools in the area, WAIS features a foreign language (Spanish or Mandarin Chinese) course as part of it’s specials rotation in addition to PE, Music and Art. Starting in September, WAIS will be building extended day opportunities for our students based on student interest and teacher availability. Please stay tuned for more information!
Building Fundamentals for Parents of Students Currently Attending WAIS.
- Parents may drop students off using the hug and go system in the parking lot at 7:45. School begins with breakfast in the classroom at 8 a.m. Students will be marked tardy after 8 a.m.
- All students should enter the school at the North Entrance only (by the Rec Center) before 8:00 AM. Please do not drop off students before 7:50 as there will be no adult supervision. That being said, you are welcome to park and wait with your student on North picnic tables until staff comes out to open up the school. If a student arrives after 8:00 AM, they must enter through the main doors and obtain a pass from the office.
- Our school office is open from 7:45 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Parents and Guardians are always welcome. In order to insure the safety of our students, all visitors must enter through the main doors, sign in and obtain a visitor’s badge for every visit, no matter how short the visit. Other visitors are not permitted in the classroom or on campus without advanced approval from the principal.
Student Drop Off and Pick Up:
- Please follow the direction of staff and parent volunteers in the recreation center parking lot during morning drop off. All staff and volunteers have been trained to direct traffic in the lot. That being said, please remember that many times, these are volunteering staff and parents who are simply trying to make the drop off efficient and easy. Courteous driving, smiles and waves greatly help the drop off process!
- During pick up, please make sure to meet your students on the grass on the north end of the building (where drop off occurs) and be sure to meet with your student’s teacher so he or she knows your student is accounted for. Please do not wait in your car for your students as it can be difficult for us to see whom is driving the car.