Note from Superintendent Swanson: Dec. 12
Dear Westminster Community,
It's hard to believe that this is my last What’s Up WPS message of 2018! Clearly, time flies when you are busy. Not only has this been an incredibly busy year in Westminster Public Schools, it has also been one of the most successful.
As I detailed two weeks ago in this space, the major highlights of the year were getting off the accountability clock, passing a mill levy override, hosting the CBS Summit and recognition for our Board of Education from the Colorado Association of School Boards (CASB) as Colorado School Board of the Year.
Those were the biggies, but as I looked at the year in review, I felt like there were several other accomplishments worth remembering. Here they are, in no particular order:
- Boys & Girls Club of Westminster Opens
- John E. Flynn A Marzano Academy Opens
- WPS Named Large Business of the Year by Westminster Chamber of Commerce
- Mesa Elementary Gets a Makeover with Help from Lowes Home Improvement
- Back-to-School BBQ and Backpack Giveaway was Bigger and Better Than Ever
- AdvancED Gives WPS Award for “Excellence in Education”
- Flynn Students Accept Rachel’s Challenge
- Reading Partners Opens at Three WPS Schools
- CTE Students Visit Ball Aerospace
- WPS Given “Catalyst for Change” Award by Adams County Youth Initiative
- Girl Scout CEO Sylvia Acevedo Visits Scott Carpenter Middle School
The success we have seen this year is the result of a collaborative effort by people across the district and community, and our goal is to pick up in 2019 where we left off in 2018. During the break, I hope everyone enjoys time with family and friends and finds time to reach out to provide support for those who may be struggling.
Dr. Pamela Swanson
Superintendent of Schools
P.S. Next week, I will be sending out my annual holiday video, which captures the sights and sounds of the season. We have recorded some of our best holiday performances, and students and staff from across the district have been sending us pictures like the one on this page of me and my husband, Randy. I think you will enjoy the video.