- Westminster Public Schools
- District Home
2021 Back to School Information
The district made the decision to return with a phased approach because transmission rates remain high in Adams County and may increase during the holiday season. “We hope this extra week after the holidays will serve as a kind of buffer for students who might be exposed to the virus over the break,” Superintendent Pam Swanson told the Board of Education during its meeting on December 8. She also stressed the need for everyone to remain vigilant over the holiday break.
Swanson informed the board that teachers will be wearing a different type of mask and eye protection next year, which could decrease the number of teachers who would need to quarantine if an individual student tests positive for the virus.
In addition, Governor Jared Polis has created a task force that is receiving input from educators about the best way to keep students in the classroom in spite of the virus. This week he released a Back to School Roadmap and letter to parents (en español) about the coming school year. He again stressed that schools are, “relatively low-risk environments and can be a safe place.”
WPS In-Person Learners (currently in remote learning platform)
- Students will return to remote learning instruction on Tuesday, Jan. 5 and then transition to in-person learning on Monday, Jan. 11.
- Health officials believe remote instruction during the first week of January will decrease the possible spread of COVID-19 that might be acquired over the holidays.
- Individual school principals and teachers will communicate via email with students/parents about schedules and other important information.
WPS Online Learners
- Students will return to their online learning classes on Tuesday, Jan. 5.
- Teachers will communicate via email with students/parents about schedules and important information.
WPS Food Program
WPS will continue to provide meals for families at individual schools through Friday, December 18. The meal program will resume at individual schools on Monday, Jan. 4.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Because of the impact COVID-19 is having on our hard-working food services team, there may be some changes in locations and hours.
Please check mywps.org/covid for the latest information.
Culinary Services plans to distribute meals at select sites on the following dates during the holiday break: Dec. 21, 22, 23, 28, 29 and 30.
As of now, plans call for distribution at Westminster High School, Ranum Middle School. Colorado Sports Leadership Academy, Shaw Heights Middle School, Swim and Fitness Center and Westminster Recreation Center from 10 to 11:30 a.m.
Check this schedule for any changes.
Drive through pick up meals are available for all children 18 and under between 10 and 11:30 a.m. Children do not need to be present and identification is not required.