WHS CTE Launches New Aerospace Pathway
Have you ever looked up at the sky and thought, “How cool would it be to learn how to build and fly airplanes, rockets, robotics and more?” If this is you, be sure to check out the new PLTW Aerospace Engineering class.
WHS CTE is launching this new pathway with the PLTW Aerospace course. This course will introduce students to the fundamentals of atmospheric and space flight. As students explore the physics of flight, they will bring the concepts to life by designing an airfoil, propulsion system, and rockets. Students will also learn basic orbital mechanics using industry-standard software. Finally, students will explore robotic systems through projects such as remotely operated vehicles (ROVs).
Next year, we will offer Drone Operations and Robotics in partnership with Spartan College. This course offers students the opportunity to build, program and fly various drones/model airplanes. Students are also able to earn the FAA Part 107, which is a Commercial Drone pilot certification, as a part of this pathway.
Aerospace careers are not just for pilots or airplane mechanics. Here are some of the other exciting career opportunities offered by the aerospace pathway:
- Aerospace Engineer - design aircraft, spacecraft, and satellites - average salary $100,000/year.
- Drone Pilot - control and maintain an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) - average salary $80,000/year.
- Mechanical Engineer - plan and manufacture new products by developing, designing and testing mechanical devices - average salary $80,000/year.
- Aircraft/Spacecraft Designer - Aircraft designers and aeronautical engineers create tomorrow's aerial vehicles and improve those already flying - average salary $112,000/year.
- Aerospace Technician - test aircraft systems, perform installations and repairs, check the quality of aircraft systems and calibrate aircraft computer systems - average salary $50,000/year.
- Military Aerospace Careers - Air Force, National Guard, Marines, etc.- average salary $23,000-$130,000/year.
For more information, please email Mr. Ferguson at email@example.com.